Skip to content

North Korea warns of ‘all-out war’ as it refuses to sign pact with US

October 12, 2013

North Korea has issued a fresh warning of an “all-out war”, urging   the United States to stop military drills and what it described as “nuclear   blackmail”.

North Korea marked the 65th anniversary of its founding on Monday with a military parade in Pyongyang.

The country also refused to sign a non-aggression pact that John Kerry, the US   Secretary of State, offered last week on condition of denuclearisation.

In a thinly veiled threat to strike the United States, the North’s National   Defence Commission (NDC), chaired by leader Kim Jong-Un, said the US   government must withdraw its policy of hostility against the North if it   wants peace on both the Korean peninsula and the “US mainland”.

“(The United States) must bear it in mind that reckless provocative acts would   meet our retaliatory strikes and lead to an all-out war of justice for a   final showdown with the United States,” a spokesman of the NDC was quoted as   saying in a statement carried by Pyongyang’s Korean Central News Agency.

“We emphasise again that the United States must withdraw various measures   aimed to isolate and strangulate us. Dependent upon this are… peace and   security, not only on the Korean peninsula but the US mainland as well.”

The comments come after a two-day joint naval drill between Japan, South Korea   and the US, which included an American nuclear aircraft carrier, sparked a   series of angry responses and threats from Pyongyang.

On Friday the North slammed a naval drill by US, South Korean and Japanese   warships as a “serious military provocation” and vowed to “bury in the sea”   the American carrier taking part in the exercise.

The latest bellicose statement from the NDC demanded that the US lift   sanctions against the North, stop the “constant nuclear blackmails” and   various war drills.

It rejected as “intolerable contempt” a US demand that it should show tangible   commitment towards abandoning its nuclear programmes if it wants substantive   talks with the United States.

“The denuclearisation of the Korean peninsula is an inalterable policy goal of   the DPRK government,” it said, but added that getting rid of such weapons   should also include a total removal of US nuclear threats against the North.

The US and South Korea have long demanded that Pyongyang show tangible   commitment to ending its nuclear weapons programme before the six-party   talks, which have been stalled for several years, can resume.

The North has said for years it wants denuclearisation of the whole Korean   peninsula and that it is developing a nuclear arsenal to protect itself from   the US military, which occasionally sends nuclear-powered warships and   aircraft capable of carrying atomic weapons.

In February the North carried out its third underground nuclear test in   defiance of UN Security Council resolutions, sending tensions soaring and   raising fears of possible conflict. It also launched a rocket in December   that Washington said was a disguised ballistic missile test.

As well as the two Koreas, China and the US the six-party talks also involve   Russia and Japan.

Credit To:  The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10374660/North-Korea-warns-of-all-out-war-as-it-refuses-to-sign-pact-with-US.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: